Holy Name Cares
Holy Name Cares Mission is to provide food to those in need in the Holy Name community.
Holy Name Cares
In June 2012, members of Holy Name’s St. Vincent de Paul conference, in consultation with Fr. Bob, made the decision to depart from the Society of St. Vincent de Paul and become a ministry of Holy Name Parish. This was not an easy decision, but one we felt would be of the most benefit to those we serve.
Our mission of providing for those in need in our community has not changed. We continue to offer food assistance to anyone within the Holy Name Parish boundaries. Calls for help are received daily and we have a dedicated team of volunteers who prepare food hampers for clients. Grocery gift cards are also provided so clients can purchase perishable food items such as dairy items and produce. Clients are eligible to receive up to 6 hampers/year. They come to the parish to pick up their hampers.
This ministry continues to rely on your assistance through cash and food donations and through your gift of time. We thank all parishioners who support us through the year – you are truly amazing!
We welcome new volunteers at any time throughout the year. If you are interested in volunteering with us we would love your help. The more volunteers we have the less frequent the volunteers’ shifts will need to occur. Please contact Marlene in the parish office. Notices of our meetings are posted in the monthly calendar and in the bulletin. Anyone is welcome to attend.
There are several ways to offer your time to Holy Name Cares:
- Callers: Callers retrieve messages left by clients requesting hampers and return phone calls to these clients to collect relevant details. This information is passed on to the deliverers. Callers may also offer advice about other community resources available. Shifts are typically one week long but can be split, and generally occur every 5-6 weeks. Messages are retrieved and returned from home at the caller’s convenience. Guidelines and resources are provided to our callers to assist them in their role.
- Hamper Coordinators: Using the information provided by the callers, hampers are packed according to the guidelines provided for family size. Working in groups of two, meet clients at the church, provide them with hampers and food vouchers. Volunteer shifts occur 3 times per week and volunteers can sign up for as little as one individual shift, or as schedule permits.
- Christmas hamper program: extra volunteers are needed in the weeks leading up to Christmas for gift sorting and wrapping, sorting of food and packing of food hampers and the delivery of Christmas hampers. Announcements of dates for these volunteer opportunities will be posted in the bulletin through November and December
- Bread Pickup from Co-op: Wednesday evenings, prior to store closing; bread needs to be delivered to the church the following day, and put in fridge. This position can be shared.
- Pantry Shelf Stocker
- Assisting with food drives
- Administrative positions, chair or co-chair, secretary, and treasurer.
Monetary donations are welcome and 100% of all donations are used toward the purchase of grocery cards or replenishing of our pantry. As cheques are made out to ‘Holy Name Church’ please indicate that the donation is to Holy Name Cares. Blue envelopes for Holy Name Cares can be found in your Sunday Offering envelope box. Monetary donations are tax deductible and are included in your Holy Name tax receipt.
Donations of nonperishable food items are welcome on an ongoing basis and can be left in the bin by the elevator at any time throughout the year. PLEASE MIND EXPIRATION DATES AS OUT OF DATE CANS/PACKAGES CANNOT BE DISTRIBUTED. The following are food items which are staples in our hampers:
- Soups: canned and dry
- Chunky dinner soups
- Beans: pork & beans, kidney beans, etc.
- Granola bars
- Kraft dinner
- Peanut butter, jam
- Canned vegetables
- Canned fruit
- Canned meat: tuna, salmon, chicken, ham
- Canned tomatoes, tomato sauce
- Cereal: hot or cold
- Kid’s canned pasta
- Pasta: spaghetti, rigatoni, etc.
- Pasta sauce
- Rice, Hamburger Helper, Lipton Side Kicks
- Cookies, puddings, Jell-o, cake mixes
Bread is donated by Co-op.
Other items such as pancake mix and syrup, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, baby food, snack items or toiletries are appreciated. Items which would be considered staples rather than specialty food items are most needed. Unfortunately we are unable to accept any homemade (baked or canned) food items, perishable food items or items which have been opened (unless the items inside are prepackaged i.e. individual hot cereal pouches)
By everybody giving a little bit we are able to provide for many. We would like to extend a warm thank you to all of our parishioners who give generously to Holy Name Cares so that we may carry on this important mission.
Thank you and God Bless!
A blessing on our ministry
We ask for God’s blessing upon our service to those who are hungry. May God, who gives us food in due season, bless you who are sharing this food with your brothers and sisters.
May Christ, our living bread, satisfy your heart and the hearts of all people who hunger for justice and act to make it happen.
May the spirit who teaches us to eat food that does not perish, bless you with a renewed heart to believe all are one Bread, one Body of Christ.
This day and all days, may you know the Lord Jesus in the breaking and sharing of bread. Amen